jueves, 19 de abril de 2007

For my students...

This entry is for my students at home! I miss you all very much and think about you alot, I wish you could be in my classes here! =)....So this is what has happened in the last few days...


I have been sick for about two weeks now. I think it is some sort of infection, but I'm not sure. I've gone to the pharmacy several times to get medicine but nothing seems to be working! I keep having headaches and I'm dizzy, I also have alot of congestion. Maybe it's a sinus infection. At least I feel a little better today...However, I'm still peeling from my sunburn two weeks ago! (when I went to Nicoya for Semana Santa)


Over the last few days we've been doing some shopping for the house. We went to the hardware store and bought some light bulbs for the dining room and had a key made for the front door. We also went to a department store and bought some towels for the bathroom and kitchen. When we put the light bulbs into the lamp we lost all power in the house! We blew a fuse and didn't know what to do. So we lit some candles and had a friend fix it for us. We took the new bulbs out and tried to turn it on with the old bulbs but it went out again! And everytime it went out it made a very loud noise so Amber and I would scream. We talked to the owner and she told us not to touch the light anymore until the electician comes to fix it.


Last night we went to Quizno's for dinner. I think it was the first time we've had American food since we've been here. I had a sandwich with three types of meat and cheese, it was called the Classic Italian. It also came with lettuce, tomato, dressing, onions (my favorite!), and black olives, but I ordered it without olives because they are so disgusting (I hate olives).


Grocery shopping is very different here also. I am getting used to all the Latin American brands, but it is sometimes difficult because I cannot find the same foods that I eat in the US. But, I have learned to love the food here. For breakfast I eat eggs with red beans and onions and I usually buy bread at the bakery across the street. For lunch I have ham and cheese sandwiches, and I toast them in the oven (they are so delicious!) . And for dinner we have rice and beans with plantains or tomatoes or some other sort of vegetable. We don't ALWAYS have the same things to eat, but usually we do because it's easy =) This morning we made the yellow plantains for breakfast (maduros? is that the name?), they were very sweet.


We are having so many problems with bugs in the house! This week we haven't seen any roaches (thank God!) but we had lots of flying ants and flys. And the ants are very strange, they lose thier wings and then they crawl around the house, they are so gross, I hate them.


Tonight I have English class again, it is a new class for me. They are advanced learners and what they are learning tonight is very difficult, I hope it goes well!


Ok, well I need to go get ready, because I still haven't taken a shower or anything! haha, but I do miss you all very much! =) And if you ever want to call you can, my number here is 506.234.6059....


Here are pictures of Amber and I going out to dinner- the first one is us in front of the bread store and the other is with our neighbor who found this house for us! (my skirt looks shorter than it really is! haha)

No hay comentarios.: